Friday, September 19, 2014

Farm to People September 2014 Subscription Box

Farm to People "connects independent farmers and craft producers with consumers."  They offer two tasting boxes "The Casual Foodie" (3 to 4 products $29.95 shipping included)  & "The Food Critic" (5 to 8 products $49.95 shipping included). I came across a discount code and purchased "The Casual Foodie" for $23 total price. I was very excited about my first box.

When I went out to get the mail today I noticed that I had received my Farm to People box! BUT then I saw the dreaded "damage to your box" label from the Post Office. As I picked it up I could also smell a very strong pickling smell. When I opened the box I was very sad to see that there had been a problem with a jar of pickled asparagus. There was NO lid on it and all the juices had spilled. What a mess. Luckily 2 of the other items were also in jars and could easily be cleaned off and still used. So I will break up this review into 2 categories. The damaged & the usable.

Damaged:
ERIC PICKLES from York, PA (Pickled Asparagus)... Jar opened, packaged with NO lid. While they sound delicious they had to thrown right into the garbage...

NUTS &  BOLTS from Brooklyn, NY (Almond Cookies - Gluten Free & Vegan) ..Again these sounded delicious but upon further inspection one end of the package was open and they also had to be thrown out. Actually made me sad to throw them away...would have made a great snack with a cup of green tea..


Usable:
BETTER OFF SPREAD from Brooklyn, NY (Spicy Peanut Butter)...I couldn't resist and just had to have a quick taste. Spicy & delicious. I can't wait to use it in an Asian style noodle recipe!

RED JACKET from Geneva, NY (Grape Jam) ..Honestly I have grape jam on my shopping list for the weekend to make Barry more of the BBQ Grape Jam meatballs that he loves. So I was very excited to see this in my box.  Might have to sneak a taste of it for myself on some toast in the morning first.

Overall review of the box: Of course I am so disappointed that I lost 2 of the 4 items I received. The items I can use will be put to good use... The Farm to People did get back to me and got my subscription canceled for now...and also offered to send out the 2 replacements.  I do appreciate them doing that.

UPDATE (Sept 24th): Replacement box received. Asparagus received in perfect condition. Cookies AGAIN were open.  Not asking for anymore replacements. Giving up on getting all 4 items... :(




No comments:

Post a Comment